22 January 2010

My Char Koay Teow Adventure

Char Koay Teow (CKT), is a well-known delicacies local food in Penang. Oh Yeah! However, I am still searching for the best Char Koay Teow around this island. I guess maybe the best taste is hidden somewhere for years, personally I love to have traditional Char Koay Teow, which is fried using charcoal fire. Now our times had reached 21st century. Cooking gas are now used for Fried Koay Teow at food stalls everywhere except some hawkers still opted for charcoal fire. There is a difference between the usage of charcoal fire and gas fire. Charcoal fire gives a better taste compared to gas fire because the Koay Teow can be fried under constant fire, and the food is not so oily too.

Now I am about to tell you my 3 discoveries of Char Koay Teow in Penang.

First stop is the Char Koay Teow from Jalan Tengah, Bayan Baru.



This plate costs RM3. The taste is quite nice. Normally I won't be eating spicy Char Koay Teow since most of the hawkers will add chilli into the food. Nothing taste better than Char Koay Teow for my breakfast. Haha! Actually, I do not know what to eat in the food court but I chose to eat Char Koay Teow instead. Ahh... never mind. I just eat whatever I want just only to fill up my empty tummy.

Next stop is the Ah Hoe Char Koay Teow at Lorong Ipoh, Jelutong.



This plate costs RM2.70. Compared to the first one, this plate is cheaper by 30 cents. But bear in mind that I really don't care how much I had paid for a plate for CKT, just forget it. How about the taste? It is quite oily, but still I can finished up the plate. The hawker most probably put a little too much oil in the wok. I am pretty scare of eating too much oily food because my face can get oily too when I eat it. LoL!

The last but not least, just went to Genting Kopitiam, Island Glades. Again, I just came here yesterday to eat Wan Tan Mee. Now I have ordered this one for my lunch.



3 bucks for this plate. My goodness! When I first look at this food, I am confident that the hawker doesn't really fry well. But still I have to eat because I am quite hungry by that time. This CKT tastes not bad. However, compared to other 2 plates that I had mentioned above, this plate loses out some textures and also it's taste.

Well, it was hard for me to tell which CKT is the best in Penang. I heard from someone that there got people selling CKT for a higher price. RM6.50, RM8 is a maximum price for a plate for CKT that I heard. What the heck?! I don't get it, why the price is higher than normal ones? Personally I feel that this "high class" CKT contains few pieces of king size prawns, that's why the price gone up high. Damn freaking expensive for a plate. No wonder a lot of people have spoken about this long time ago.

For now, I will going to continue looking for the best around Penang town. Go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment